Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Intentional Shopping

 

I've received a large number of body butter orders this week.  It turns out several bloggers have featured our organic whipped hair & body butters on their blogs.  What a fun surprise!  A big thank you to Ashlee, Sharla, Lovelyn, Lora, & Kristen for encouraging families to check out our products! :)  It's a great way for me to pass the time while we wait to find out if the little one we're matched with will be joining our family or not.  It's been a hard wait this week, so I'd appreciate prayers for that.

As we look forward to our day of thanks tomorrow, and the shopping that traditionally begins right after that, I am thankful that our family keeps it simple.  Both sides of the family exchange a bare minimum of gifts, and keep the focus on the reason that Christmas exists -- to celebrate the birth of our Savior!

This year, I've been reminded that the shopping that we do has the potential for feeding into the consumerism that surrounds us, or making a difference. 

If you are looking for opportunities to shop with a purpose this Christmas, check out this post, by Lovelyn.  Every idea posted is an opportunity to invest in helping women in other countries support their families, assist an organization that cares for orphans, or add to the adoption fund of a family bringing a new little one home.  I will be checking our budget soon.  There are some awesome products listed, and I can't wait to buy a few!

If you didn't find everything you need there, check out Andrew and Lora's blog, Vitafamiliae.  They said, "Every shop on this list represents a family or ministry raising money for adoption and orphan care. This Christmas take your gift-giving to the second power by buying gifts from these families."   Be prepared to enjoy a lot of browsing and find some very unique gift ideas.  There are almost 60 links here!

Then, since by this point you're staying up until 1am anyway, take a few more minutes and check out on of my fav blogs, Rage Against the Minivan.  Kristen says in her Gifts that Give Back post, "In a season marked by giving, I love the idea of giving back to our community and our planet. A few years ago, my family decided to forego gifts for the adults, and give donations in each person’s name instead. It’s been so fun thinking of each family member and finding ways to honor each of them with a unique donation.  Here are some great ways you can do your Christmas shopping and give back at the same time."

If you know of any other great lists, please let me know.  I'd love to post them here!

3 comments:

Heather Kinkel said...

Yay! Thank you for the link to Vita... I shop locally/direct from creator, etc. mainly and try to avoid the large chains. Admit I'm a little bored with my go-to's so I'm excited to look at the vendors they suggest!
Also praying for your family in this season of waiting. Hugs from the Kinks!

Sharla said...

I'm really glad to hear that you've been busy filling orders! I hope that continues!

Ms. Kang said...

Hi! I just added your site to my blog as well. I am an adoptive Momma and your blog link came to me through Moments with Love and from a friend when I was researching natural lotions. Guess it was meant to be.

We also LOVE to give and I tried to plant a seed in my blog by mentioning what our giving plan was for this season. We contacted our local Department of Human Services and we are sponsoring two families of foster children here in our area. Black Friday shopping was very exciting to do for them!!!

Hang in there during the wait. It is tough, but always worthwhile ;)

Christine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...