Monday, March 5, 2012

'My Hospital'

a goofy grin on our way to check-in

Keandre has a very positive view of our local children's hospital.  In fact, every time we pass it, he yells out, "Mom, there's my hospital!" :)  I have no doubt this contributes to his mostly easy-going approach to the testing we must do regularly to track how he's doing. This morning was his big day -- his fourth endoscopy (third in less than a year). 

My Aunt arrived at 6:30am to take over kid care so I could focus on getting Keandre and I out the door.  Keandre started his morning with a bear hug for me and a sweet snuggle for Aunt Maggie, so I could tell we were off to a good start.  Despite having no food or drink since bedtime the night before, he was all smiles, and so silly it was hard to get him ready! 

Keandre named his little goose Duck Duck Goose, or 'Ducky', for short. :)

His check-in nurse enjoyed his goofy demeaner, and gave him a little stuffed animal to play with.  After dressing in his 'pjs', we were off to play in a nearby playroom.  It was a mecca to plastic 'noisy toys'....a little overwhelming!  Daddy arrived to hang out with us, which helped pass the time.

Before they called us back, we met with the anesthesiologist and his GI doctor.  Keandre gave his doctor a huge smile and enthusiastic hug, which was super sweet to see.  Dr. S. has cared for him since he was an infant struggling to thrive, and although he's not considered a top doc in regards to treating Eosinophilic Esophatigitis and Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis, he has been a huge blessing to our family and we've been happy with his care.

Shortly before we got started, I had my first Mommy regret.  I told the anesthesiologist about the extreme agitation and confusion Keandre experiences after waking up from his previous endoscopies.  He suggested a dose of Versed, which would hopefully help.  When they brought out the bright pink, icky smelling fluid, I *almost* said, "Nevermind, we'll pass."  (We avoid food dye and unneccesary meds as a general rule.)  I still wish I had spoken up.  There was a delay as we waited for Keandre's turn, and for the next 30 minutes we held our sweetie as he zoned out and was barely functional.  I prayed over him a ton, asking the Lord to alleviate any negative side effects and help me be more assertive in the future.

Another sad effect of the Versed was missing out on the much-awaited Hummer ride.  I could have cried!  We took a picture of him with the Hummer before we entered the OR, but he doesn't remember that at all.  He was so out of it that Andy had to hold him upright, but he sure looks cute!

Afterward, Keandre experienced the same agitation and confusion as the last few times.  He was flailing, yelling at everyone, and it was very hard to remove his IV.  Confirmation that the Versed was not worth it! :(  He was also terribly distraught when he woke up enough to realize he hadn't been able to drive the Hummer.

When he calmed down just a little, the nurses were kind enough to bring the Hummer to the recovery room and let him drive it even though he was angry and couldn't even walk straight.  They were so kind to us!  The other families and staff were also very understanding as we left the hospital with our screaming kiddo.  I was afraid we'd have to prove we weren't kidnapping him, but instead they gave us looks of sympathy as they saw he was obviously going through a lot.  About 30 minutes later, he was much calmer.  So much for the Versed!  Not making that mistake again....

When we got home, it was just the two of us.  We snuggled, watched a new Little Bill movie I had bought on ebay, and his appetite returned *really* fast.  In the first three hours, he ate a couple servings each of homemade apple jello, grassfed beef, organic green beans, and rice cooked in homemade bone broth.  Amazing.  So much for the liquid diet they recommend for the first few hours. :) I'm so thankful he is such a great eater, and that it didn't make him sick!

Some mixed feelings came out in a little rebellion about an hour after we settled in.  I was on the phone for a few minutes, and he got to work cutting the ribbon and tags off Ducky, and ridding himself of those hospital bands.  I don't blame him.  I'd have some mixed feelings about it, too!  After that, he seemed to feel better again.

Did I mention that Keandre's doctor was happy with how the endoscopy went, and that, visually, everything looked good?  We are so thankful!  The labs will tell the true story, though, and we hope to hear results by Friday.  Thank you for your prayers.

I LOVE this kiddo.  I am so blessed to be his Mama!


Jamie said...

So thankful that everything looked good. We all have those mommy moments, live and learn! I pray you get good results on Friday.

Nichole said...


Amy said...

Keandre, Hey! Did I ever tell you that when I was a little kid like you I always dreamed of riding a little motorized car? I never did though get a chance and am sooo happy that you´ve gotten the chance at least once (or more) to try :)-- you´ll have to tell me what it´s like sometime ok?! Hope you´re doing well. Lots of love from Aunt Amy

Sarah 'Bekah said...

Hey Keandre - so proud of how brave & cheerful you were going to the hospital yesterday! Sounds like you did a really great job! And we're super happy that the doctor thinks everything was looking really good. We were praying for you! Lots of love & hugs, Auntie Sarah & boys

Annie said...

Hi Keandre! I am SO proud of you! You had a tough day, but you turned it into a good day being with your Mommy and Daddy, and eating lots of good food. Will you get to see the pictures the doctor took of inside your stomach? I bet they're cool!
Love you!
Auntie Annie

Denise said...

We were away on vacation so I'm just reading this. I also just read about the results, so I'm very happy that everything looks so good!

Sorry that the Versed didn't help. Please don't be too hard on yourself. Both Jay and Nate had it prior to anesthesia when they were little. Jay woke up just fine, while Nate woke up as confused as ever. It just affects different people differently, I guess.

I hope you had some down time afterwards; it sounds like a very emotionally exhausting day for you.

Continuing to pray for sweet Keandre!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...