Monday, August 16, 2010

impromptu dinner

Who gets a cold in August?  Apparently I do.  Ah well.  It's a great excuse to take a 3 hour nap and let Daddy snuggle our littlest cutie in my place.  Which of course they both loved.  I was barely missed!  That is, until feeding time at the zoo....

And as one might expect when Mommy's sick, 5:30pm rolled around and there was no plan for dinner.  (Okay, who am I kidding.  That's practically normal.  Anyone who knows me well knows I don't mind cooking, but planning meals and shopping for ingredients is not a strength of mine!) 

As I surveyed the refrigerator, Destany, who was at the table playing with flour and water that she brought home from Sunday school, informed me that she is going to make pizza.  That is when the dough began flying through the air. 

Like this.
And then like this.  (Watch out, Keandre!)

I decided she was on to something.  I handed out more flour, a little water, some olive oil, salt, and yeast, and the kids all made dough on the kitchen table.  I wish I'd taken more pictures.  They were so into it!  Once their dough was formed into flat patties, they each created their own pizzas.  There was flour EVERYWHERE.  But the end result was so yummy that it was worth the mess. 

Lucas was the last to eat his pizza, and he asked me to take a picture of it first.  He wrote about his pizza on his blog

We'll definitely be making pizzas more often.  It's a super easy meal to throw together, and it was nice having the kiddos make their own.

We ended the evening by reading another chapter from Ramona Quimby, age 8 (our current family read), taking a walk around the block at dusk, and braiding Destany's hair while watching a library movie about horses.  All around a pretty good day.

ps - For more great pics of Destany throwing her pizza dough, check out her blog here. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...